It’s that time of year again: January 1st — Oooh! Time to hang up my 2015 NZ firefighters calendar and…. Hellooooo Mr. January!
*blinks* What was I saying again? Oh yeah.
It’s the day after all the celebrations to usher in the new year, when we’re guilted into announcing a bunch of those
impossible, ridiculous, not-possible in-your-wildest-dreams resolutions that are supposed to vastly improve our lives.
Well, in the spirit of sharing, I thought I’d share a few of mine.
1) My new workout regime — because dammit! I want abs rather than “flabs”.
2) I’m going to learn to dance like this:
3) I will write a chapter a day… so I can emulate all the myriad successful authors who are publishing a new book every 3 months. Not to mention get all the stories currently residing in my head (and turning my brain to mush) published so I have a hope of holding a halfway comprehensible conversation with another human being.
Yeah. Riiiiight. *eyeroll*
Seriously, rather than set myself up for failure — and then feel crap about failing — I’m committing to the following:
1) Doing some form of regular exercise that I enjoy… even if it is walking on the treadmill while reading a book.
2) Going to dance classes every week, rather than finding excuses to stay home.
3) Doing my utmost to dedicate time to writing every day… but not beating myself up if it doesn’t happen for whatever reason.
4) Counting my blessings. Because even when adding new words to a manuscript seems like an impossible Herculean task, and I can’t recall why the hell I wanted to be a writer in the first place, writing is still the best job ever.
Happy New Year, everyone!
Thank you for your emails, for your advice and friendship, and for choosing to read my stories; couldn’t have done it without you.
Sending you all cyber-hugs from New Zealand, and wishing you all a safe, happy, and prosperous 2015.