I was fascinated by this blurb for Wake by Lisa McMann:
For seventeen-year-old Janie, getting sucked into other people’s dreams is getting old. Especially the falling dreams, the naked-but-nobody-notices dreams, and the sex-crazed dreams. Janie’s seen enough fantasy booty to last her a lifetime.
She can’t tell anybody about what she does — they’d never believe her, or worse, they’d think she’s a freak. So Janie lives on the fringe, cursed with an ability she doesn’t want and can’t control.
Then she falls into a gruesome nightmare, one that chills her to the bone. For the first time, Janie is more than a witness to someone else’s twisted psyche. She is a participant….
And to my delight, the story totally lived up to its premise. So much so that I bugged DD to pass on the second book, Fade, the instant she finished reading it.
This month I got to read the final book in the trilogy, Gone.
The verdict? Awesome.
Warning: It’s not exactly a happy ending, primarily because in the third book we learn the true extent of what Janie’s ability will eventually cost her physically, but for me it’s an ending filled with hope and love that was both realistic and satisfying. Highly recommended! Provided you’re not averse to reading 1st person present tense, but of course you’d never let a silly thing like that stop you from checking out this trilogy, would you? ;-) All I can say is that in this series, it works exceptionally well and DD & I both agree we couldn’t imagine the story “working” if it’d been written any other way.
And here’s my full reading list for February — a heap of truly excellent reading in there. Of course with authors such as Nalini Singh, Rachel Caine, Amelia Atwater-Rhodes and Jane Porter, what else could you expect than excellence?
- Bloodshed by Claudia Gray**
- Say Yes by Lili St. Crow**
- Letters to Romeo by Nancy Holder**
- The Other Side by Heather Brewer**
- Drama Queen’s Last Dance by Rachel Caine**
- Thief by Jeri Smith-Ready**
- Gone by Lisa McMann
- Total Eclipse by Rachel Caine
- She’s Gone Country by Jane Porter
- Archangel’s Consort by Nalini Singh
- Persistence of Memory by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes
- Enchanted No More by Robin D. Owens
- Magic at the Gate by Devon Monk
- Odd Mom Out by Jane Porter
- Highborn by Yvonne Navarro
- To Catch a Wolf by Susan Krinard
- Blaze of Memory by Nalini Singh
- The Frog Prince by Jane Porter
- Bonds of Justice by Nalini Singh
- Song of Scarabaeus by Sara Creasy
- A Kiss In Time by Alex Flinn
- Warrior by Zoe Archer
**From Eternal; More Love Stories With Bite anthology
Here’s to a heap more great reading,