As I mentioned in the newsletter I sent out earlier this week, I’m running a bit late with last month’s reading list because, reasons! Such as three weeks of a really horrible flu… which I’m blaming for both the embarrassingly few new words added to the third Freaks book I’m currently writing (Freaks at Large), and my embarrassingly high book-reading count for August. But in my defense, it was either lie in bed and read voraciously, or lie in bed and go quietly up the wall from sheer boredom and frustration. When you’re stuck in bed, thank God for books — both electronic and print — is all I can say.
Even so, I was pretty shocked when I counted the number of books I got through in August… and when it comes to the number of books I can get through in a month, it takes a lot to shock me; I think this might even be a record! And then this word I’d never seen before popped up on my radar and, thanks to the flu meds I was taking, I can honestly say that for the past three weeks or so I’ve been the epitome of a bibliobibuli.
And what is a “bibliobibuli” I hear you ask?
According to a possibly unreliable source *cough* UrbanDictionary.com *cough* and a possibly slightly more reliable source (Wictionary) this noun comes from the Greek biblio (meaning “books”) and the Latin bibulous (which stems from bibere meaning “to drink”). So the term bibliobibuli has purportedly been used to refer to a person who is “drunk on books”.
Um. Yeah. And that cough mixture I was taking? It was very strong… just sayin’.
This month I’d like to give a shout-out to a wonderfully talented historical romance author who’s also a friend of mine, Sophia James. At our recent RWNZ conference I was lucky enough to score two of Sophia’s recently released books (Mistress at Midnight, and Scars of Betrayal), which she kindly autographed for me: SQUEEEEE!
I’ve read a number of Sophia’s books, so I know I’m always going to be treated to an intricate plot, an emotional read that tugs at the heartstrings, and wonderfully flawed, fascinating characters. It was no surprise to me at all that Sophia had two books nominated (including Mistress at Midnight) in the prestigious 2014 Romance Writers of Australia Romantic Book of the Year contest. And yes, both Mistress at Midnight and Scars of Betrayal lived up to my high expectations and if you like historical romance, I highly recommend them!
Click here for the Scars of Betrayal book page/blurb.
Click here for the Mistress at Midnight book page/blurb.
And here’s my full reading list for August 2014:
- Trial By Desire by Courtney Milan (Carhart Series)
- Shadowdance by Kristen Callihan
- Mist by Susan Krinard
- Alias Hook by Lisa Jensen
- Wilder’s Mate (Bloodhounds) by Moira Rogers
- This Wicked Gift by Courtney Milan (Carhart Series)
- Good Girl Gone Plaid by Shelli Stevens
- Lord of the Hunt by Shona Husk
- The Changeling Soldier by Shona Husk
- An Elemental Tail by Shona Husk
- Scars of Betrayal by Sophia James
- Mistress at Midnight by Sophia James
- The Maverick Millionaire by Alison Roberts
- A Doctor For Keeps by Lynne Marshall
- Undone by the Sultan’s Touch by Caitlin Crews
- Kissing Phoenix by Shona Husk**
- Tasting Thanatos by Shona Husk**
- Sharing Sirius by Shona Husk**
- Enchanting Absinthe by Shona Husk**
- The Convenient Bride by Jennifer St. George
- Seducing the Secret Heiress by Jennifer St. George
- A Kiss For Midwinter by Courtney Milan
- What Happened at Midnight by Courtney Milan
- Attachments by Rainbow Rowell
- She Likes It Tough by Geralyn Corcillo***
- Mr Right And Other Mongrels by Monique McDonell***
- After Wimbledon by Jennifer Gilby Roberts***
- Rake’s Honour by Beverley Oakley
- A Doctor To Heal Her Heart by Annie Claydon
- Desk Jockey Jam by Ainslie Paton
- Tarnished Knight by Bec McMaster
- Breathe For Me by Natalie Anderson
- Black Scales White Fur by Kylie Chan
- Undead And Unemployed by MaryJanice Davidson
- Undead And Unappreciated by MaryJanice Davidson
- To Wager The Marquis of Wolverstone by Bronwen Evans
- Undead And Unreturnable by MaryJanice Davidson
- Undead And Unpopular by MaryJanice Davidson
- Blind Attraction by Eden Summers
- Undead And Uneasy by MaryJanice Davidson
- Undead And Unworthy by MaryJanice Davidson
**Sex With Strings anthology
***Have Chick Lit, Will Travel anthology