Eureka! I’ve finally recovered from:
- hockey fundraising (which led to being hypnotized)
- actually being hypnotized (which led to four glorious days respite from being my normal fretful, uptight, uber-self-critical self)
- the total time-suck involved with writing and presenting a workshop
- the inevitable mental and physical exhaustion that goes hand-in-hand with attending a full-on three day conference, and,
- wrestling the explosion of emails in my inbox into some semblance of submission.
Not to mention I think I’m finally done with raving about the All Blacks sightings and all the “aha!” moments I had during last weekend’s RWNZ national conference. Which means….
It’s back to normal programming here on mareeanderson.com, folks. And tomorrow, being Monday, I get to open my neglected manuscript and dive back into my crystal warriors world. Danbur, I’ve missed you! *sobs* Hope you’re ready to roll, dude! Get some rest because tomorrow’s gonna be a big day. Consider yourself duly warned…
But for now (before I head downstairs to cook cheats Butter Chicken for the men in my life), let’s talk books.
As you can plainly see from the list of this month’s reads (below) I’m having a Charlaine Harris and Nalini Singh fest… because I was horrified when I checked my bookcases and realized how far behind I was with all the series. Yep, I’m one of those people who collects series and must have all the books in each series or I go insane every time I investigate my bookcases. And part of the reason I’m behind is because some of the releases came out in hardback, whereas I’m collecting them in paperback. Consequently I couldn’t bring myself to muck up my bookcases by having mixtures of hardbacks and paperbacks within the series… because that also drives me insane. As does buying a paperback in a series finding when you get home it’s a slightly different size to all the others you’ve bought. Aaaaargh. So I’ve often resorted to ordering hardback editions from the library so I can read them shortly after publication, and waiting to buy them for my collections until they’re out in paperback. The things we do *g* And this is one big benefit of eBooks, of course. (Says the woman who often buys both eBook and print editions of her favorite keepers, but let’s not go there!)
So what to choose from this month’s list? Well, anything by Nalini Singh is guaranteed to rock your world, and the Angels’ Flight anthology was no exception. One word summation: AWESOME! I love both the very different worlds featured in Nalini’s Psy-Changeling and Guild Hunter series.
Ditto with Ms Harris’s Sookie Stackhouse series. And if you’re on the fence about reading this series, rest assured it’s sooo different to the TV series True Blood as to be almost ludicrous. DD, for example, can’t abide TV-Sookie but loves book-Sookie. And I gotta say that book-Sookie has a dignity about her that really appeals to me. And despite all the furor about who she ends up with in the last book, I have every confidence that Ms Harris will pull it off to my satisfaction and I’ll totally buy into Sookie’s HEA.
LOVED Dare You To (Pushing the Limits #2) by Katie McGarry, which was Beth’s story. But then, Ms McGarry is always a must-read for both me and DD. And I’d pull a few snippets from the book to share with you but DD has pinched it and taken it away with her on her hockey tournament, and she won’t be back till next Friday! Sorry.
Was highly entertained by the OMG original and imaginative world Jim Hines created in Libriomancer.
And absolutely adored the hero and heroine of The Chocolate Kiss by Laura Florand. In fact, adored the book full-stop. (And was rapt that the conference caterers provided us with “macarons” on numerous occasions, as I’d been dying to try them after reading about them in this book! Just so you know, they’re delicious.)
And here’s my full reading list for August.
- Nine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake by Sarah MacLean
- Blaze of Memory by Nalini Singh
- Angel’s Pawn by Nalini Singh **
- Angel’s Judgement by Nalini Singh **
- The Chocolate Kiss by Laura Florand
- Angel’s Wolf by Nalini Singh **
- Angel’s Dance by Nalini Singh **
- Firelight by Sophie Jordan
- Libriomancer by Jim C. Hines
- Tangle of Need by Nalini Singh
- Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris
- Living Dead In Dallas by Charlaine Harris
- Dare You To by Katie McGarry
- Miracle In Bellaroo Creek by Barbara Hannay
- Daring To Date Dr. Celebrity by Emily Forbes
- Indelible by Dawn Metcalf
**From the “Angels’ Flight” anthology