Baked Bean Hash
This week’s recipe is fabulous for a breakfast or brunch — it sure beats trying to cook bacon and eggs to everyone’s liking *g*. I cut it from a magazine years ago, and it’s one of my staples when we’re hosting a weekend brunch. (It’s actually quite a useful dinner dish, too, as we discovered the other week when we were out of ideas.) It can be prepared in advance i.e. the hash browns base cut to fit, the filling ingredients chopped and whisked, and then tossed together as your guests arrived. Serve it with a plate full of croissants and coffee (or champagne!), and that’s brunch sorted!
BAKED BEAN HASH
Hash browns – enough to cover the bottom of a rectangular baking dish, 16 cm x 26 cm (approx 6 x 10 inches)
1 x 425g (approx 15oz) can baked beans
4 rashers bacon, finely chopped
3/4 cup grated cheese
Chopped parsley to garnish (optional)
- Place hash browns in base of baking dish, trimming so they fit closely. (Note, if hash browns are still frozen, that’s fine.)
- Pour baked beans over hash browns and spread evenly.
- Beat eggs together and pour over top of baked beans.
- Sprinkle over bacon, then cheese.
- Bake at 200 degrees C (approx 400 degrees F) for 30 minutes, until egg is set.
- Sprinkle with chopped parsley (if using).
Note: this recipe doubles well. I’ve used a larger dish with 2 tins of baked beans and 6 eggs.
Download your FREE copy of Passionate Cooks now!